The Director of Safety, along with management, is expected to be a “hands on” partner in developing and overseeing the delivery of all safety initiatives and programs specifically to develop a safety culture supporting the goal and daily mission that “Nobody Gets Hurt” in the course of any work performed by the crews.
- Oversee all safety for the organization.
- Provide effective safety coaching, counseling and advice, ensuring that operations management delivers a safe and efficient work environment for all employees, customers and the public (COACHING and CONSULTING).
- Provide specific safety training, education and related programs for operations management to use and implement in the course of completing work (EDUCATION, TRAINING and PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT).
- Acts as a “safety” motivator for management and employees alike, ensuring safety remains an active part of the work and the culture at Miller Bros. (MOTIVATION).
- Provides “safety” subject matter expertise, ensuring the most relevant and effective safety practices are used and implemented. (SAFETY SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT).
- Regularly review and be familiar with all applicable legislation and applicable standards, to ensure compliance.
- Inform the project management team and supervision of any new or conflictive legislative matters that could impact the project.
- Develop a Site Specific Safety Plan (SSP) for the project/program to ensure a safe work environment for all company employees, contractors, visitors and community.
- Regularly audit the SSP for compliance and update to ensure the alignment with project scope and conditions.
- Organize and schedule required safety staff and first aid coverage.
- Provide direction, support and resource to all site managers, supervisors, foremen and safety advisors.
- Ensure that incident reporting procedures are implemented and followed.
- When appropriate, participate and assist the supervisors, foreman and safety advisors in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and corrective actions where necessary.
- Ensure incident corrective actions are followed up on and completed.
- Ensure injured workers are offered modified duties and documentation has been completed. Monitor and follow up on modified workers in the field.
- Verifying field staff training and competencies; consult the project management team, Safety Manager and Regional Safety Manager for compliance and action plan.
- Review safety obligations of the clients and ensure they are carried out as per the terms of the agreement, and communicated to the Project Manager, Supervisors, Foreman and Safety Advisors.
- Ensure new hires are orientated, and all required documentation is completed accurately and forwarded to the head office.
- Ensure safety boards with postings including but not limited to: Health and safety policy, inspection and audit results, project hazard assessment, location of first aid, etc. are maintained and current.
- Ensure that the following material is available and on site, HS&E Manual, the applicable provincial legislation and regulations, site safety inspection forms, observation forms, tailboards and log books, fall protection plans etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent Incident Investigation skills
- Excellent leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Analytical skills
- Probability and decision making skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Effective organizational skills
- Stress management skills
- Competent in MS 2010 Word, Excel, PowerPoint
David Wayne Associates LLC