Under the direction of the Supervisor, Safety Management, the selected candidate will be responsible to critically evaluate operational conditions at Port Authority facilities; identify and characterize potential safety conditions; establish recommendations for improvements, develop safety procedures and standards, evaluate safety programs, provide technical advice on accident prevention, evaluate and recommend new safety initiatives and equipment necessary to enhance the overall Port Authority safety program, generate statistical reports review and interpret safety regulations, prepare reports on assigned special projects. Coordinate emergency evacuation programs for Port Authority facilities and provide emergency evacuation training to Agency personnel as required. Participate in Safety Committee meetings at various facilities throughout the agency. Must be willing to learn and become proficient in the use of the safety software/technology initiatives managed by Agency Safety Management.
The successful candidate will also be responsible to review contract and drawing specifications to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local safety standards and Port Authority Rules and Regulations. Reviews of the Agency Contractor Safety Program, Safety Logs, and Training records to ensure compliance with OSHA standards are also performed. Knowledge of and experience with reviews of Health and Safety Plans and Safety Programs (HASPs) is highly desirable. The successful candidate also provides safety and technical advice and guidance at pre-constructionmeetings, major projects weekly safety & progress meetings to monitor Agency Safety Performance and evaluate compliance with the applicable Regulations and Standards.
The position requires travels to all Port Authority facilities and work hours on occasion may include early morning, late evening, and weekend shifts to respond to emergencies and safety related events. Due to operational demands with the high level of construction activities Agency wide this position will involve both facility and office work to ensure timely reviews of Health and Safety Plans are made to ensure Agency Targets are met and support provided to our facilities, tenants and contractors.
The successful candidate will be subject to a comprehensive background check, must pass a fingerprint based criminal history records check in order to obtain an airport Security Identification Display (SIDA) credential. The candidate must be able to maintain SIDA credentials throughout your employment in this position.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or related field, from an accredited college or university
- A major in Safety Engineering is preferred
- Minimum 3 years’ safety experience
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Bachelor’s degree is Safety Engineering is preferred
- Practical safety experience
- Experience conducting Health and Safety Plan Reviews
- Working knowledge of eBuilder project management software
- Working knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations
- Ability to interpret regulations and prepare safety programs to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and project management
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, multitask and work independently to complete tasks
- Demonstrated knowledge of both US DOL OSHA Construction and General Industry Regulations, industry best practice Safety Programs and NYCDOB Regulations
- Familiarity with National Fire Codes, NFPA standards, NYC Fire Codes, Rules of the City of NY
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyze incident and accident reports and conduct investigations to determine causes
- Must be able to work overtime, both scheduled and on an emergency basis and available for weekend on-call
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.