Dietz and Watson, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is currently seeking a Safety Manager. This position will work with and through management to ensure the company’s compliance with safety and environmental procedures. This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the country’s leading food manufacturers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists, plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Advises management on safety compliance concerns and preventative actions.
- Plans and implements training for employees in work site safety practices.
- Maintains safety files and records.
- Performs safety surveys and inspections, prepares written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventive measures where indicated and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Conducts post-accident investigation and prepares report identifying possible accident causes and hazards for use by company personnel and senior management and works with Workers Compensation cases.
- Coordinate and conduct training.
- Assists in the development, evaluation and upgrading of safety programs.
- Assist and maintain environmental reports including Tier 2 Reporting, Storm Water Permits, SPCC etc.
- Maintain Emergency Response plans.
- Prefer experience in food manufacturing industry.
- Excellent Computer, communication and training skills. Maintain effective communication with Dietz & Watson, Inc., Safety Department and Human Resources Department.
- Work closely with plant management in optimizing opportunities to reduce risks using Ergonomic evaluation, Job Safety Analysis, and make recommendations for correction.
- Follow-up with Maintenance on all safety work orders for completion.
- Maintain current labor law postings.
- Administer light duty – return to work program.
- Responsible for overseeing compliance with regular inspections to include, but not limited to; fire equipment, emergency response vehicle components, AED units, hoists, ladders, eye wash stations and stored respirators. Will also work with maintenance on plant inspections.
- This position has operational/supervisory responsibilities for our Philadelphia facility and supervisory responsibilities for our Baltimore facility.
- Must be able to travel overnight at least 10-20% of the time.
- Frequent travel to our Baltimore facility.
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined by management.
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- 5 years’ of safety work experience required.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Experience in a company with 800 + employees is preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish or another language other than English is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations (General industry) a must.
- Knowledge of MOSH and EPA regulations preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- 1st Aid/CPR/AED Certification.
- Understanding RMP and PSM a plus.
- Must have an acceptable current driver’s license.
- Knowledge of Kronos HRIS a plus.
- Working with a diverse workforce.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects, standing and/or walking for extended periods of time; climbing stairs and/or ladders.
- Frequently required to work in wet and cold environment between 28 to 35 degrees.