Ashland has an exciting opportunity for a Environmental Health and Safety Business Unit Manager to join our Life Sciences business at our Kearny, NJ facility. This is a very visible, significant role within the Company and the EHS function. This position will report to VP EHS, Sustainability, Quality and Regulatory Affairs.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing leadership and subject matter expertise (SME) in driving the company’s efforts around safe, compliant and responsible operations. A main emphasis on programs and processes designed to reduce the company’s overall risks and drive EHS performance results to ZERO.
- Developing and maintaining the structure and content of the company programs and providing overall direction and objectives for implementation
- Communicating results / issues / health of the programs
- Acts as the main point of contact for multiple facilities regarding all EHS functions and lead the efforts to reduce the overall risks and drive to ZERO.
- Identifies areas needed for development. Recommends training programs, procedures and processes to support EHS strategic and tactical plans.
- Expected to have ready answers to technical questions. Establish a skill area. Applies technical knowledge to negotiate regulatory compliance.
- Manage EHS related regulatory and internal standard interpretations.
- Manage Responsible Care activities related to EHS related standards.
- Other program management responsibilities as assigned
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- BS or BA degree in Industrial Safety or other related technical degree
- A minimum of eight to ten years of industrial safety and regulatory experience in a manufacturing, chemical, or refinery setting.
- Experience in managing EHS programs in the chemical manufacturing industry – facility experience required; corporate-level experience preferred
- Safety certification (e.g. CSP, CIH, CRSP, CHSP, RSP) or ability to obtain within 12 months
- Experience working in a chemical plant
- Demonstrated experience/ expertise in creating and developing & implementing EHS strategies across multiple facilities and regions
- Strong working knowledge of OSHA standards.
- Ability to travel 50%
The following skill sets are preferred by the business unit:
- Master degree or above
- Six Sigma and/or Lean Certification (preferred)
- Five year of management experience
- CSP, CIH…